As a parent, having a sick or injured child is anxiety-inducing. One of the reasons it can be stressful is because you may not be sure what type of pediatric emergency care you should seek. Do you head to one of the nearby North Charleston, SC emergency rooms? Do you make an appointment with your regular pediatrician? Or do you seek help at an urgent care center?
Better Safe Than Sorry
You should always err on the side of caution, and that is especially true with a newborn baby. Medical conditions can progress very rapidly in a baby that is only a few days or weeks old. If you think it may be an emergency call 911 right away.
Going to the ER
The following conditions should prompt you to seek pediatric emergency care at the nearest ER:
- Any type of head injury
- A fever above 100.4 using a rectal thermometer that doesn’t go down with medication.
- A temperature that is below 97.8 using a rectal thermometer.
- Difficulty waking your baby or child.
- Blood in urine, stool, spit-up, or vomit.Broken bones.
- Deep cuts.
- Swelling on the soft spot.
- Rapid breathing or a child that is struggling to breathe.
Going to an Urgent Care
For the following conditions, you don’t need to take your baby to the ER, but you should find same day treatment at an office that provides pediatric emergency care. They include:
- Ear infections.
- Severe cold symptoms.
- Flu symptoms.
- Suspected dehydration.
- A constant or barking cough.
Making an Appointment With Your Pediatrician
Some illnesses should be checked out by a healthcare provider, but they don’t have to be done right away. You can make an appointment with your regular pediatrician sometime within the week. These include:
- Feeling generally unwell.
- A rash without an accompanying fever.
- Runny nose.
- Irregular bowel movements or constipation.
- Common cold symptoms.
- Pus around the site of the umbilical cord or circumcision.
- Difficulty hearing or seeing that is gradual.
- Sports or school physical.
If you find that you need pediatric emergency care in North Charleston, SC, call Charleston Palmetto Pediatrics. We reserve plenty of daily appointment slot for emergency sick visits, and we will be happy to see your child even if he or she is not a regular patient. We do recommend, however, that you let your regular pediatrician know about your visit as soon as possible as your child may need follow- up appointments regarding the condition.