Use of legal drugs can lead to substance abuse. No matter how regulated these drugs are, some people can still end up addicted to them, whether intentionally or unintentionally. People who seek help for their drug use problem can undergo a substance abuse treatment in Broward County
There is a slight difference between substance abuse and addiction. With substance abuse, it is easier for you to quit and live a healthier lifestyle. Addiction, on the other hand, is a disease that needs medical treatments.
List of Commonly Abused Drugs
Some drugs and substances have chemicals that can alter a person’s mood and perception. These often give a person a pleasurable ‘high’ to help ease their stress. This is the reason why people keep coming back to these drugs and substances. However, the chemicals in these products or drugs are quite addictive. Some of the most commonly abused drugs are:
- Prescription and some over-the-counter medicines
Signs and Symptoms of Substance Abuse
You may think that you can control how much substance you consume. But over time, the substance will soon take control of you. For many people, this can lead to substance abuse and addiction. Listed below are some signs that you may already have a substance abuse problem.
- You have lost interest in the things that you used to enjoy.
- You constantly change your friends.
- You don’t care about your hygiene anymore.
- You have irregular sleep.
- There is a drastic change in your eating habit.
- You have problems with family or work.
- You exhibit unexplainable mood swings.
- You spend more time by yourself than you used to.
Substance abuse can affect your everyday life and even ruin your relationship with friends and family. It may also lead to addiction which is a much bigger problem. To prevent this from happening, do not be afraid to seek substance abuse treatment. Your doctor may recommend counseling and medication to help you cope with what you are going through.