In America, substance abuse remains a serious and widespread issue. Estimates have the number as high as 23 million people who suffer from a drug or alcohol problem. Substance abuse treatment centers throughout the country, including Fort Lauderdale, New York, Boston and San Francisco are helping those who do decide to kick the habit and embrace sobriety. In Florida, statistics indicate the current trend in substance abuse to include:
- Crystal meth
Substance Abuse Treatment
In Florida, treatment facts differ for alcohol and drugs. The following list provides basic stats and facts:
- Those with alcohol-related problems are in higher attendance than those who abuse drugs. In 2015/2016, stats from the Florida Department of Children and Families found 24,000 people sought treatment for alcohol
- Statistics indicate more men than women entered Florida alcohol rehab in 2015/16.
- The age varied, but the largest category for alcoholics was 35 and older.
- Those entering Florida rehab centers for drug abuse numbered 13,039 in 2015/2016 according to the same study
- For those drug users who seek help, the two most common types of drugs they abuse are marijuana and heroin. In Fort Lauderdale, for example, in 2000, of all the persons tested for drug use, 43.3% were positive for marijuana use
- More women than men gained entry to rehab for opioid addiction
- For opioid rehab, the largest age group was between 26 and 35 years of age
- Many people entering rehab have an addiction to more than one substance
Substance Abuse Treatment Centers
Substance abuse is on the rise in Florida. The levels of drug use continue to increase. Fighting it professionally requires entry into rehab. Choosing the right substance abuse treatment center in Florida is not always easy – in Fort Lauderdale, alone you can find at least 15 different treatment centers. However, if you carefully research the possibilities, you can increase your chances of finding the best one possible.